Search This Blog

Saturday 31 January 2009

Double Letters

Just received the February editions of two magazines (Writers’ News and Writing Magazine) yesterday (they get here later than in UK) and was pleasantly surprised to see they featured one of my letters in each. The WM letter was just a comment on an earlier letter. The WN letter reads:
“Spooky! What a strange feeling I experienced on seeing the title to Vivien Hampshire’s article about including sound in our fiction: ‘Sounds Good’ (WN p32, Jan 2009).
“That was the very title I used for my short story in the recent Mace&Jones ‘justice’ competition. While I appeared in the Top Ten, I didn't get a mention or prize, but I can console myself with the knowledge that the story has been accepted for a monthly magazine here in Spain.
“The main character is Leon Cazador – Lion Hunter in English translation – who is half-English, half-Spanish and is a latter-day Simon Templar character. ‘Sounds Good’ will be his twentieth published outing and I eventually hope to collect the stories for a book.
“Anyway, the title looks good, too.”
There were 93 entries in the 'Justice' competition. I seemed to be the only male in the Top Ten… and the winners were: Cathy Roberts for ‘The Appointment’ about Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in Britain, Mary D’Arcy for ‘Expiation’, Jan Bengree for ‘Red Geraniums’ and Jackie Le Poidevin for ‘What Price?’

No comments: